Collagen is an essential protein found in the skins of all animals, in fact, collagen is such an important structural component of the skin that people with certain skin conditions such as eczema often have a deficiency in it.
That’s because when collagen is deficient in the skin, it becomes weak and easily damaged, it helps to keep moisture in the outer layers of the skin and provides structure to tissues.
It also helps to protect against water loss and environmental stresses such as wind and UV light, the right type of collagen also plays a huge role in the appearance and health of your skin, this is because adequate levels of collagen are needed for a healthy epidermis and dermis layers so that they remain firm, elastic, and youthful-looking.
Why Is Collagen Important For The Skin?
Collagen is a type of protein that makes up the structural integrity of the skin. It keeps skin youthful and firm by promoting elasticity and strength, this protein is also essential for wound healing and is linked to the prevention of skin aging.
Collagen is gathered in the Skin Collagen Reactor and is broken down into amino acids which are then absorbed into the bloodstream, these amino acids are then used for building new tissues, if your diet is low in dietary collagen, it is possible for your body to produce less collagen.
Signs That You Need More Collagen in Your Diet
- You feel tired after just a few hours of sleep
- You are waking up at night to use the bathroom because of low water intake,
- You have low blood pressure
- You have a fever
- You have bruising
- You have a pale complexion
- You have red or irritated skin
- You have a loose body image
Proven Ways to Increase Collagen In Your Diet
- Eat more animal products
- One of the best ways to increase collagen intake is by consuming more animal products such as fish, chicken, and egg.
- Eat more vegetables
- Consume foods that are high in vegetables such as carrots, potatoes, and sweet potatoes. These are high in the soluble fibers that are needed for building collagen.
- Take a collagen supplement – There are many types of Revive Collagen supplements available and they come in a wide range of dosages, however, make sure you consult your doctor first before taking any supplement.
Things That Can Cause Too Much Collagen in Your Diet
- You are taking a prescription drug for bone health
- Certain drugs for bone health can cause too much collagen in the body, these include raloxifene, bisphosphonates like alendronate, and medicine for osteoporosis such as teriparatide.
- You are taking medication for a skin condition
- Certain medications such as isotretinoin, minocycline, hydroxychloroquine, and retinoids can also cause too much collagen.
- You are taking certain dietary supplements
- Certain dietary supplements such as Vitamin K2 and Vitamin C can also cause too much collagen in the body.
Collagen is an essential building block of the skin, this is why it is recommended for people with skin conditions like eczema and aging. However, collagen is only produced by animals and this is why people with no animal products in their diet are at a higher risk of having a deficiency in this protein, thankfully, there are ways to increase your intake of collagen.